John Hart Dam Seismic Upgrade Project
About The Project
Day to day BC Hydro’s dams, like the John Hart Dam, are safe and functioning normally.
Vancouver Island is within the most seismically active zone in BC. For many decades we have been assessing earthquake hazards at our dams, related facilities, and upgrading the dams as required. In 2007, we launched a six-year, $10 million ‘Probabilistic Seismic Hazard Analysis’ study with the results released in 2014. The purpose for this investment? To create a best-in-class model for calculating earthquake hazards for BC, with the results used to better evaluate dam assessments and validate the resulting upgrades. The study outcome was that significant capital upgrades would be required.
- Upgrade the earthfill and concrete dam to improve seismic performance, including:
- Placing upstream and downstream earthfill berms.
- Adding a seepage cutoff wall (impermeable wall) where required within the earthfill sections to act as the seepage barrier.
- Anchoring of the concrete dam structures.
- Upgrading the concrete roadway.
- Construct permanent flood and flow imbalance risk mitigation upgrades including:
- Adding an overflow spillway below the road deck.
- Replacing the three spillway gates and related works, such as the hoist system, so they can safely and more reliably pass water in a controlled manner downstream post-earthquake.
- Install new equipment and upgrades to the existing protection and control equipment to meet current reliability standards, including improved post-earthquake operation.
Watch the latest project video below or at this link on Vimeo
Jan 11, 2021
BC Hydro says the planned seismic upgrades to the John Hart Dam made “good advancements in 2020,” and sets them up for a big year in 2021. “We initiated the project in 2014 to find the best way to upgrade the dam so that it can withstand a severe earthquake and maintain downstream public safety,”…See All News Updates
See All News
- Campbell River Chamber Website Collaboration With BC Hydro Will Connect Workers To Three New Projects
- BC Hydro Releases New Project Video Updates
- BC Hydro, Chamber of Commerce launch job website for Campbell River dam projects
- BC Hydro Inform the City of Campbell River Mayor and Council about Proposed Projects
- BC Hydro: the last two decades and the decade ahead
Browse and search our full archive of news for all projectsSee All News Updates