John Hart Dam Seismic Upgrade Project
About The Project
Day to day BC Hydro’s dams, like the John Hart Dam, are safe and functioning normally.
Vancouver Island is within the most seismically active zone in BC. For many decades we have been assessing earthquake hazards at our dams, related facilities, and upgrading the dams as required. In 2007, we launched a six-year, $10 million ‘Probabilistic Seismic Hazard Analysis’ study with the results released in 2014. The purpose for this investment? To create a best-in-class model for calculating earthquake hazards for BC, with the results used to better evaluate dam assessments and validate the resulting upgrades. The study outcome was that significant capital upgrades would be required.
- Upgrade the earthfill and concrete dam to improve seismic performance, including:
- Placing upstream and downstream earthfill berms.
- Adding a seepage cutoff wall (impermeable wall) where required within the earthfill sections to act as the seepage barrier.
- Anchoring of the concrete dam structures.
- Upgrading the concrete roadway.
- Construct permanent flood and flow imbalance risk mitigation upgrades including:
- Adding an overflow spillway below the road deck.
- Replacing the three spillway gates and related works, such as the hoist system, so they can safely and more reliably pass water in a controlled manner downstream post-earthquake.
- Install new equipment and upgrades to the existing protection and control equipment to meet current reliability standards, including improved post-earthquake operation.
Watch the latest project video below or at these links on Vimeo
Jan 11, 2023
Access to the Elk Falls Suspension Bridge will be closed from Jan. 24-27, so that some trees can be cleared along the old penstock corridor. And BC Hydro will be closing other roads and trails in the area as part of the preparation work for the John Hart Dam seismic upgrade. There are two sites…See All News Updates
See All News
- BC Hydro begins issuance of John Hart dam construction reports
- BC Hydro announces John Hart Dam civil works contractor
- BC Hydro considering recreation use during John Hart project site works
- B.C. Hydro preparing lands for massive John Hart dam seismic upgrading
- John Hart project receives civil work bids
Browse and search our full archive of news for all projectsSee All News Updates