John Hart Dam Seismic Upgrade Project
About The Project
Day to day BC Hydro’s dams, like the John Hart Dam, are safe and functioning normally.
Vancouver Island is within the most seismically active zone in BC. For many decades we have been assessing earthquake hazards at our dams, related facilities, and upgrading the dams as required. In 2007, we launched a six-year, $10 million ‘Probabilistic Seismic Hazard Analysis’ study with the results released in 2014. The purpose for this investment? To create a best-in-class model for calculating earthquake hazards for BC, with the results used to better evaluate dam assessments and validate the resulting upgrades. The study outcome was that significant capital upgrades would be required.
- Upgrade the earthfill and concrete dam to improve seismic performance, including:
- Placing upstream and downstream earthfill berms.
- Adding a seepage cutoff wall (impermeable wall) where required within the earthfill sections to act as the seepage barrier.
- Anchoring of the concrete dam structures.
- Upgrading the concrete roadway.
- Construct permanent flood and flow imbalance risk mitigation upgrades including:
- Adding an overflow spillway below the road deck.
- Replacing the three spillway gates and related works, such as the hoist system, so they can safely and more reliably pass water in a controlled manner downstream post-earthquake.
- Install new equipment and upgrades to the existing protection and control equipment to meet current reliability standards, including improved post-earthquake operation.
Watch the latest project video below or at these links on Vimeo
Mar 22, 2023
There are some temporary road closures across two dams scheduled for the Campbell River system to accommodate work at the John Hart Dam and for spillway gate maintenance work at the Strathcona Dam.See All News Updates
See All News
- BC Hydro posts John Hart Dam Seismic Upgrade Project construction report #2
- Brewster Lake Road four-day closure to accommodate tree removal
- Access to Elk Falls Suspension Bridge to be closed for four days
- BC Hydro begins issuance of John Hart dam construction reports
- BC Hydro announces John Hart Dam civil works contractor
Browse and search our full archive of news for all projectsSee All News Updates