What is a supplier?
A supplier is a business that wishes to provide materials, labour, equipment, technology or services to a project’s contractor.
What does this website offer suppliers?
As in the past, it continues to offer information and resources to suppliers throughout the planning and execution of major projects.
Prior to the awarding of a contract, businesses can view a project’s description and outline, including potential projected trade requirements and timelines. Notices of meetings and related news items are centralized into an easy-to-find format. By making this information available, in advance of the actual awarding of the contract, local businesses are able to prepare and position themselves as an attractive resource to the prime contractor.
Most importantly, proponents, and later, the prime contractor will be able to browse the profiles of registered suppliers to gauge what local trades, resources and materials are available. Registering on this website allows local suppliers to create a tailored profile for a major project’s prime contractor to browse. We took in about 150 profiles from 2012 to 2016. This list was removed in 2019 upon completion of the John Hart project. As of March 2021, we have set up a new supplier list for the upcoming dam safety projects. You can now register and create a supplier profile. BC Hydro plans to begin the procurement process for the first phase of the John Hart Dam Seismic Upgrade Project in late summer 2021, through BC Bid.
To be eligible to register and complete a company profile as a supplier you must conform to the following requirements:
- Be a member in good standing of the Campbell River and District Chamber of Commerce or;
- Have a current business license to operate within the City of Campbell River and surrounding area or;
- Be a member of a Vancouver Island Chamber of Commerce, VIEA or VICA.
- You must have a reasonable expectation that you can provide a service, or materials to one of the three listed dam safety projects; and
- You will have to pay a one-time registration fee of $100.00 plus GST.
Businesses that hold a membership with the Campbell River & District Chamber of Commerce will have the supplier registration fee of $100 waived. You may join the Chamber at this link.
Click here to Register as a Supplier.
BC Hydro is working to advance reconciliation with Indigenous Nations which includes finding mutually beneficial procurement opportunities with designated businesses. Please consider reaching out directly to contacts at Wei Wai Kum, We Wai Kai and K’omoks First Nations to discuss potential future procurement opportunities.
Wei Wai Kum (Campbell River) First Nation
- Jen Cooley, Executive Assistant to Chief and Council
- 1650 Old Spit Road, Campbell River, BC, V9W 3E8
- Tel: 250-286-6949
- Toll Free: 1-877-286-6949 – firstname.lastname@example.org
We Wai Kai (Cape Mudge) First Nation
- Ronnice Krug, Acting Band Manager
- 690 Headstart Crescent, Campbell River, BC, V9H 1V9
- Tel: 250-914-1890 – email@example.com
K’ómoks First Nation
- Jen Knox, Economic Development Officer, K’ómoks Economic Development Corporation
- 3330 Comox Road Courtenay, BC, V9N 3P8
- Tel: 250-339-4545 ext. 113 – firstname.lastname@example.org
Similar to suppliers, we will provide an opportunity during the procurement process for individuals to meet the project contractors. Similar to the successful July 2012 and 2014 job-fair style events for the John Hart project. In addition, we recommend that you keep in touch with the various unions, North Island Employment Foundations Society, North Vancouver Island Aboriginal Training Society and the Industry Training Authority.
BC Hydro and the Chamber would like to hear from you on project procurement or project support. We welcome comments, suggestions or possible concerns, and they can be provided by contacting Stephen and/or Mary Ruth directly.