Strathcona Dam Water Discharge Upgrade Project
About The Project
- Construct a new low-level outlet structure to provide the capability for a deep reservoir drawdown, which is currently not possible. This work includes construction of a deep channel and placing two gates in a concrete structure located within the bedrock on the right or east side of the dam. Post-earthquake, having a lower reservoir level will reduce the risks to the dam, and the controlled water releases from the dam also manages the risks to the downstream dams.
- Replace the existing three spillway gates and related works such as the hoist system with a new concrete overflow spillway, improving the reliability of the spillway system. With the two new gates to be placed within the new channel, in addition to the Strathcona Generating Station discharges, they will provide for downstream water management for fish, power generation and flood risk management.
Watch the latest project video below or at this link on Vimeo
Dec 03, 2020
The Campbell River & District Chamber of Commerce has once again partnered with BC Hydro with a relaunch of the website — majorprojects.ca — in support of three upcoming proposed projects: the John Hart Dam seismic upgrade, the Ladore Spillway seismic upgrade and the Strathcona Dam water discharge upgrade. As the projects move forward, this website will connect local companies and…See All News Updates
See All News
- BC Hydro Releases New Project Video Updates
- BC Hydro, Chamber of Commerce launch job website for Campbell River dam projects
- BC Hydro Inform the City of Campbell River Mayor and Council about Proposed Projects
- BC Hydro: the last two decades and the decade ahead
- Design work underway on Strathcona Dam upgrade near Campbell River
Browse and search our full archive of news for all projectsSee All News Updates